Spy shots have revealed VW’s replacement for the retro-inspired reborn Beetle, with the design themes seeming to follow its iconic original.
Among the changes that are already evident – in spite of the mule model spied still showing the original front and rear-end finishes – are a flatter, coupe-like roofline and a longer and wider wheelbase.
The newer version is also set to host a range of different engine configurations – one of which is rumoured by a hybrid – that could also include the 155kW turbocharged 2-litre powerplant from the VW GTI hot-hatch.
VW will no doubt be hoping that the updated version – set to go on sale at the start of 2012 – offers better practicality than its predecessor, which copped criticism for its tiny boot and cramped rear seats.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- ‘Tasman Cup (1964-1975)’ - 19 September, 2017
- Hamilton wins in Singapore as Ferrari self-destructs - 18 September, 2017
- Pérez confirmed at Force India - 17 September, 2017
- Supercars: Sandown’s safety headache - 17 September, 2017
- Vettel storms to vital Singapore pole - 17 September, 2017