Dillon Battistini

Four-time Indy Lights winner Dillon Battistini will make his IndyCar Series debut at next weekend’s Indy 300 round at Kentucky Speedway.

Battistini (no, we’ve not heard of him either!) last contested a full championship season back in 2008, when he drove for Panther Racing in the Indy Lights championship, claiming the highest number of victories that season.

His wins included victory at Miami on his oval-racing debut, and also at the Freedom 100, the warm-up event to the Indianapolis 500.

Battistini – who had previously tested for the now-defunct Minardi Team USA Champ Car outfit (pictured) – was awarded a test outing with Panther Racing, and has since made sporadic appearances in Indy Lights as he works towards making his top-flight debut.

“This is just the opportunity I have been working my whole life for," said Battistini. "I am very excited to be driving the #34 IndyCar for Conquest Racing at Kentucky and can’t wait for the test on Friday. I have to thank Eric Bachelart and the whole team for giving me this chance,” he said of the announcement.

The 33-year-old takes over the cockpit occupied by Brazilian racer João Paulo de Oliveira during last weekend’s race at Motegi.

[Image via AutomobilSport]

The following two tabs change content below.

Richard Bailey

Founder & Chief Editor at MotorsportM8
Hasn't missed a Grand Prix since 1989. Has a soft spot for Minardi. Tattooed with 35+ Grand Prix circuits.

Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)

Share