Jules Bianchi’s family are set to take legal action against the FIA, the Marussia Formula 1 team and Bernie Ecclestone’s Formula One Group.

The 25-year-old Frenchman suffered fatal head injuries at the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix when his car slid off the wet track and into a recovery vehicle.

Representing the Bianchi family is British firm Stewarts Law, who will act on the Bianchi family’s beliefs that the Bianchiactions of one or more of the three accused parties contributed to the crash.

“Jules Bianchi’s death was avoidable,” said lawyer Julian Chamberlayne.

“It was surprising and distressing to the Bianchi family that the FIA panel in its conclusions, whilst noting a number of contributing factors, blamed Jules.

“The Bianchi family are determined that this legal process should require those involved to provide answers and to take responsibility for any failings.

The claims were that the “planning, timing, organisation and conduct of the race” were primary reasons of the crash, and that the race “took place in dangerous conditions during the typhoon season in Japan”.

“We seek justice for Jules and want to establish the truth about the decisions that led to our son’s crash,” Bianchi’s father Philippe said.

“We have so many unanswered questions and feel that Jules’ accident and death could have been avoided if a series of mistakes had not been made.”

Bianchi succumbed to his injuries from Suzuka nine months later on July 17 2015, and became the first driver to die as a result of injuries during a race since Ayrton Senna in 1994.

“This is important if current and future drivers are to have confidence that safety in the sport will be put first,” Chamberlayne added.

“If this had been the case in Suzuka, Jules Bianchi would most likely still be alive and competing in the sport he loved today.”

Image via XPB Images 

The following two tabs change content below.

Josh Kruse

Latest posts by Josh Kruse (see all)

Share