Carlos Sainz will remain with Toro Rosso for another year as Red Bull took up the option on his contract.

The Spaniard had attracted some interest from Ferrari as a possible replacement for Kimi Raikkonen had the Scuderia decided not to renew the Finn’s contract, however, with Sainz signing a contract until the end of 2017 Ferrari will have to look elsewhere.

“We took up his option earlier this week so he is committed to Red Bull for the next 12 months – then we have the ability to place them where we want,” Christian Horner said at a media event on Wednesday.

“He is currently at Toro Rosso and that is where he will be next year.”

Sainz had already mentioned previously that he wasn’t actively pursuing a drive with another top rated team, saying: “Many people talk about Mercedes and Ferrari but my first world championship – I would like it to be with Red Bull because they’ve given me so much.”

Despite signing on for another season, Sainz may have to wait some time for a promotion to the senior team, as both Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen are getting good results.

“Driving a Red Bull is my target and it will always be, I cannot hide that I would have liked it to be me [for the Red Bull promotion] But in my plans, and the career they put to me, I was never jumping into Red Bull in the fifth race of the season,” Sainz continued.

“So when they didn’t choose me I said it’s not my problem, it’s not my moment yet. I had to keep doing what I’m doing because that’s exactly what Red Bull told me – your chance will arrive. That’s what I’m focusing on at the moment.”

Image via Red Bull Content Pool

The following two tabs change content below.

Josh Kruse

Latest posts by Josh Kruse (see all)

Share