The Halo protection device has been postponed by at least one year after the Strategy Group decided against its introduction for the 2017 season.

The search for increased safety in Formula 1 ever since the death of Jules Bianchi in 2014 led the FIA to speed up their search for a closed cockpit solution to prevent such an accident happening again. And despite the recent testing carried out on the Halo device where the FIA felt the device was ready to be used next season, the Strategy Group couldn’t come to an agreement.

The Strategy Group is made up of the top six teams in Formula 1 along with F1 Supremo Bernie Ecclestone and president of the FIA Jean Todt.

The group met on Thursday at the German Grand Prix to discuss the devices’ implementation to the sport, with some teams not fully behind the introduction of the system.

Red Bull Racing’s Christian Horner was a notable member of the group not in favour of the Halo system, suggesting earlier this month that he would veto the idea.

“Personally I’m not a big fan of the halo,” Horner said after the British Grand Prix.

“I think it’s an inelegant solution to the problem that it’s trying to deal with.

“I’d prefer there to be more research time taken to do the job properly, rather than rushing something through that may have other consequences. So I’m not a big fan of the halo and the limitations that it has.

“I certainly wouldn’t vote in favour at the moment.”

Formula 1 drivers were almost all in agreement that the Halo device was the right direction Formula 1 should have taken, with Sebastian Vettel saying that “90-95% voted for it”.

Nico Rosberg echoed Vettel’s sentiments, saying that the installing the Halo device was the right for the sport.

“It is very clear – the large majority are definitely for the Halo. Very large majority,” Rosberg said.

“We had the presentation from the FIA. And you can only be for it. I understand people who will see that…critics, people who have something against the Halo, I understand that the purist and things like that, but nevertheless it is the right thing to do.”

Although the decision is yet to be officially confirmed by the FIA, reports say that an ease on the radio ban will also be introduced next season, as well as the FIA not penalising drivers for abusing track limits.

Image via XPB Images

The following two tabs change content below.

Josh Kruse

Latest posts by Josh Kruse (see all)

Share