PREMA driver Antonio Giovinazzi resumed proceedings for the GP2 series with the second pole of his rookie season, just ahead of team mate Pierre Gasly as PREMA locked out the front row for the first time this season.
Gasly led for most of the session with two laps quick enough for pole before his team mate snatched the fastest time of 1:56.607 while Gasly settled for second, a tenth and a half behind Giovinazzi.
Gustav Malja was a surprise third for Rapax nearly half a second off pole position while Norman Nato and Jordan King were fourth and fifth for Racing Engineering.
Arthur Pic took sixth in the other Rapax ahead of Raffaele Marciello, Alex Lynn, Nobuharu Matsushita and Marvin Kirchhofer in seventh, eighth, ninth and tenth respectively.
With four points awarded for pole position, Giovinazzi inches closer to the lead duo of Gasly and Sergey Sirotkin who are level on 113 points, now only nine ahead of Giovinazzi with Sirotkin very much out of form, qualifying 13th after a messy session.
The feature race will start Saturday at 15:40 local time (GMT +2)
Image via GP2 Series Media
Latest posts by Ahmad Shallouf (see all)
- F2: Ghiotto atones penalty with Sprint Race victory - 3 September, 2017
- F2: Ghiotto wins dramatic home race - 3 September, 2017
- F2: Matsushita surprises with maiden pole - 2 September, 2017
- F2: New generation car revealed - 1 September, 2017
- F2: 2017 Race of Italy Preview - 1 September, 2017