Kimi Raikkonen has confirmed that he is in talks with McLaren about re-joining the British team, while denying that there was any negotiations with Toyota.
"It wouldn’t make sense to change to any other team," Raikkonen told the Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat with reference to McLaren. "With Toyota there was nothing, although they said that we negotiated. We didn’t speak with them; that was only what they said.”
Elaborating on why he is not interested in joining the Cologne-based team, he said: "It is not cool to drive bad cars."
A pretty damning comment, if ever I read one!!!
It is believed McLaren is hesitating over Raikkonen’s pay demands, and the veteran of 156 grand prix confirms that the delay has nothing to do with a reluctance to team up with team up with Lewis Hamilton, although the same cannot be said for Lewis’ camp…
"Hamilton does not have anything to do with my decision,” he said. “It doesn’t matter to me who drives the other car.”
Raikkonen, who has admitted that the World Rally Championship could be an alternative to F1, also played down reports he might just take a sabbatical next year.
"Next year I will definitely drive something," he concluded.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020