Heikki Kovalainen will drop back five places on the grid after changing a gearbox following qualifying in Abu Dhabi. The punishment makes for difficult reading for Heikki, especially as team-mate Lewis Hamilton was able to grab pole position at Yas Marina.
After beating Hamilton to lead a McLaren 1-2 in second practice on Friday, Kovalainen’s car ground to an abrupt halt in Q2; as the reason was a gearbox failure and Kovalainen therefore forced to take a regulatory penalty, the Finn was left feeling seriously let down.
“What a disappointing outcome to my qualifying,” he said. “I got stuck in second gear during Q2 and that was it. I had already had minor problems with the gearbox yesterday, when it jumped out of gear, so it’s frustrating when you have a car you can easily take into Q3.”
Here’s hoping your luck takes a turn for the better in the race!
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Supercars: Series to celebrate 1000th race in Melbourne - 22 January, 2019
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Fabrizio Barbazza - 3 January, 2019
- Supercars: Holdsworth confirmed at Tickford - 21 December, 2018
- Supercars: Stanaway, Tickford split - 10 December, 2018
- ‘The Unknown Kimi Räikkönen’ - 8 December, 2018