Argentine driver José María López has said that, with a verbal agreement in place, he expects to be signed imminently with USF1 to confirm his Formula 1 debut in 2010. Such a deal would be the first F1 drive for the Argentinean as well as the Charlotte team’s first confirmed driver ahead of its debut campaign.
Having tested for Renault (pictured above), López has not been in Europe since joining Argentina’s
dreadful touring car championship, in which he became Champion of 2008. He also raced in F3000 / GP2 for three seasons from 2004, registering a win in Barcelona three years ago.
"We have a verbal agreement that will be completed next week. The visit has been highly positive – we just need to complete some economic supports that are already committed," he has explained on his website.
A drive not without some sponsorship backing…!
"It is a new team starting from scratch, something different from what I experienced at Renault, where the structure had many years of experience," he continued, "but I was impressed by the commitment and professionalism they’ve put into this project; there is a wind tunnel that is almost full scale, which is very important to develop the car I will be able to drive in 2010."
So who will drive alongside him???
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020