Former F1 driver Gabriele Tarquini has won the 2009 World Touring Car Championship title driving for SEAT.
The Italian raced in F1 between 1987 and 1995 with Tyrrell and cellar-dwellers AGS, Coloni, Osella and Fondmetal (below), racking up a record 25 failures to pre-qualify for a Grand Prix, the most of any driver.
These woeful F1 results belie a driver of extraordinary talent, and the 47-year-old backed it up again by securing his maiden WTCC title after an incident-filled weekend at Macau which was blighted by several accidents, including colliding with his team-mate (and championship rival), Yvan Muller.
Nonetheless, this is a thoroughly deserved result, Congratulations Gabriele!
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020