Former F1 driver Gabriele Tarquini has won the 2009 World Touring Car Championship title driving for SEAT.
The Italian raced in F1 between 1987 and 1995 with Tyrrell and cellar-dwellers AGS, Coloni, Osella and Fondmetal (below), racking up a record 25 failures to pre-qualify for a Grand Prix, the most of any driver.
These woeful F1 results belie a driver of extraordinary talent, and the 47-year-old backed it up again by securing his maiden WTCC title after an incident-filled weekend at Macau which was blighted by several accidents, including colliding with his team-mate (and championship rival), Yvan Muller.
Nonetheless, this is a thoroughly deserved result, Congratulations Gabriele!
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Formula E: Evans romps to pole in Santiago - 19 January, 2020
- Kubica joins rebranded Alfa Romeo team - 2 January, 2020
- Leclerc secures long-term Ferrari deal - 23 December, 2019
- Bottas stays on top despite collision with Grosjean - 30 November, 2019
- Bottas fastest in FP1, Vettel crashes - 29 November, 2019