The Lotus F1 team is likely to confirm its driver line-up as early as next week, according to Malaysian information source ‘The Star‘. Their information is based on an interview with Lotus F1 chief executive officer Riad Asmat who said the team hopes to announce its driver’s line-up by next week.
"We will name two drivers and a reserve. Negotiations are still going on," said Asmat. He furthermore admitted he was happy to race with car number 18 and 19 next season, the highest number of the three new teams entering Formula 1 next year. "We have received confirmation from the FIA that we will be No. 18 and 19. This makes us the highest ranked among the new teams," he said. "Everyone here is elated over the news and working hand in hand to ensure that we will have everything in place before the season begins in March. Our plan is to get the cars ready and test them at the Sepang Circuit by February."
Malaysian driver Fairuz Fauzy is rumoured to be on top of the list to become the team’s driver next season. Other names that are being rumoured are Jarno Trulli, Kamui Kobayashi and former Formula 1 champion Jacques Villeneuve is even being mentioned to be on the team’s list.
More pieces of the puzzle to be confirmed!
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020