With the absence of a clear denial or an official announcement, media speculation that Michael Schumacher is planning to return to F1 next year with Mercedes GP continues to grow.
- Point 1: The seven-time World Champion’s father Rolf told the Cologne newspaper Express: "Michael is training every day like crazy. He’s not doing that for nothing."
- Point 2: Bild newspaper reports that Schumacher gave his old neck-training machine to Nico Hulkenberg, because he has bought a brand new one.
- Point 3: Schumacher’s manager Willi Weber is set to meet with his most famous client in Stuttgart on Monday, The location of the meeting is interesting, given its proximity to the Mercedes/Daimler headquarters!
"We are having a personal meeting, just as do we many times a year," he told the German news agency SID. "Norbert Haug and Mercedes are not on the agenda."
F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone recently played down the suggestions about a comeback for the former Ferrari driver, but is now having seconds thoughts.
"I would personally doubt that he’s going to make a comeback but, having said that, it’s maybe getting a bit stronger than a rumour," the Briton told the Times.
And Bernie would be the one to know! Nothing slips past his gaze!
It is believed that if Schumacher ultimately turns down the seat alongside Nico Rosberg, Mercedes has its former junior driver Nick Heidfeld next in line.
"Well you’d have to pick Michael wouldn’t you?" said Ecclestone, when told that Heidfeld and Schumacher are the contenders.
"If I was Michael I wouldn’t do it, but I’m sure he knows he could get the job done," the 79-year-old added.
[Original image via BBC]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020