Mercedes GP sign-up Nico Rosberg has finally broken his silence about the rumours of a Michael Schumacher comeback, and – surprise, surprise – he’s not endorsing the seven-time champion’s return to the F1 stage, particularly if all of the rumours point to him joining the former Williams driver.
"It won’t be easy for him," he told the Stuttgarter Zeitung. "When you stay away from Formula One for a long time, it takes time to get used to all the trial sessions again. It’s not simple."
And he was adamant he would not slot in as Schumacher’s No. 2. "At Mercedes, there is no hierarchy. It has always been commonplace, that there are two equal drivers. If it emerged at the end of the year that probably only one was seriously fighting for the title, the team focuses on that driver. But until then, the Mercedes philosophy is we have two No. 1s."
Of course you’re going to say that, Nico!
"But I could benefit from Michael’s experience, even though I myself have had experience," Rosberg continued.
And just how many Grands Prix have you won, Nico? That’s right, zero.
Last time I checked, Schumacher had won 91. You were saying something about experience…
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020