The proverbial has already hit the fan following Petronas’ about-face decision to sponsor Mercedes GP just days after announcing it was scaling back its sponsorship to that of the Malaysian GP only – Lotus driver development sign-up Alex Yoong is pissed off!
Clearly Alex (and one would assume, Lotus) was hoping that Petronas would reconsider its sponsorship position and support Lotus, it being the first-ever Malaysian owned F1 team and all.
But to have one of Malaysia’s principal companies and F1 sponsors announce it intended to cut back its sponsorship portfolio and then be found to have lied about it is clearly crossing the line.
Malaysia’s (hitherto) sole F1 driver has written the following on his Twitter account:
"Petronas signs with Mercedez (sic) GP. Words fail me."
Words didn’t fail him for long, as he continued…
"Mercedez (sic) is a good team no doubt, but what Lotus is doing is completely groud breaking+brave and Petronas not seeing that fills me with shame."
We hear you, Alex!
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020