The 2009 Formula One (F1) Review is the official FIA approved DVD review of the 2009 F1 season. The lead-up to the season was faced with the first major regulation and design changes since the introduction of the ‘narrow track’ cars of 1998 – the introduction of KERS and the reintroduction of slick tyres were believed to be major factors in deciding this season’s championships.
The 200-minute, double DVD provides all the action and highlights from the entire F1 season, allowing viewers to relive all the excitement and drama as Jenson Button, in the Brawn-Mercedes, clinched the Formula One Drivers’ Championship in the penultimate race, the Brazilian Grand Prix.
For the first time ever, viewers can experience a season review DVD and the race highlights in full 5.1 surround sound, and there are options to disable to commentary and just immerse yourself in the joy of the race action onboard with many of your favourite drivers.
The menu interface is very easy to navigate, and there are some excellent extra features focusing on the resurgence of Brawn from the ashes of Honda. There are also some great feature grabs with many of the grid’s drivers as they provide their recollection of the race weekend’s action in their own words, with onboard footage to boot!
That being said, the farewell tributes to the outgoing Toyota and BMW Sauber teams left a lot to be desired and could have been executed with much more vigour – for example, a more detailed profile of the team’s history and performance, including interviews with current and past personnel of note.
Thankfully, the season review has done away with what I found were the very dull summaries of "A lap around…" that were run with each event chapter (especially if Lewis Hamilton or Kimi Raikkonen were narrating). Unlike the last couple of season review DVDs, there is a lot more focus on the race build-up and qualifying action, in addition to the usual race day highlights and behind-the-scenes footage we come to expect and love.
- HITS: More behind-the-scenes footage. Excellent interviews and analysis. Solid detail in over 3 hours of footage.
- MISSES: Farewell tributes to Toyota and BMW Sauber.
- BEST BITS: The "Oh, f%&k" look that appeared on the face of Rubens Barrichello’s PA during his outburst after the German GP in which he accused his team of costing him the race. The full radio transcript from Lewis Hamilton and Jarno Trulli that led to the infamous "LieGate" scandal.
Using our unique ‘Chequered Flags’ rating system, we award the 2009 Formula One (F1) Review …
OUT OF A POSSIBLE 5
The 2009 Formula One (F1) Review is available at all leading DVD and sports retail outlets.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020