Anyone got a spare US$915,000?
For this measly sum, you could be the proud owner of a Ferrari Formula 1 car, specifically the 1991 Ferrari 643 V12 driven by none other than Jean Alesi!
Being offered for sale via eBay in a ready-to-race condition, the famous Prancing Horse 3.5-litre V12 engine produces 709BHP, supported by a 7-speed semiautomatic gearbox.
Launched midway through the 1991 season – the first of a three-year win-less streak for Ferrari – the 643 replaced the 642 model, which had powered Alesi and team-mate Alain Prost to a handful of points finishes and a spate of retirements.
With the major enhancements at his disposal, Prost led the car’s debut race at the French GP, only to lose out on a chance at victory when he was passed by Nigel Mansell in the latter stages of an excellent race.
Sadly, the team’s fortunes failed to hit such heights again for the remainder of the season, and the lowlight came before the season-ending Australian GP when Prost was sacked after describing the team’s 1991 challengers as "trucks"!
One might argue that almost a million dollars is a lot of money for a "truck", but this isn’t your run of the mill rig, that’s for sure!
The sale of complete F1 cars is extremely rare these days, and coming across such opportunities is rarer still!
Anyone willing to make a donation? The sale ends in just over two days at the time of writing.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020