Giancarlo Fisichella is apparently on the verge of signing with Sauber, after he visited the team’s Hinwil base during Ferrari’s annual Wrooom skiing junket in Italy.
Fisichella switched from Force India to Ferrari for the last five races of the 2009 season, and has secured a test driving contract with the Scuderia for the 2010 season. Since news of Sauber’s re-entry into F1 after the successful buy-out of the BMW share in the team, Fisichella made his desire to still race in 2010 pretty clear, and even suggested the Ferrari-engined Swiss team as a possibility.
Given that Sauber will be using Ferrari engines for 2010, it makes sense to take on one of their contracted drivers too. Ferrari has also previously said it would not block Fisichella from joining another team if he wished to do so.
Fisichella previously drove for Sauber in 2004, and his impressive drives with the team earned him a call-up to his most successful stint at Renault in 2005-7.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Formula E: Evans romps to pole in Santiago - 19 January, 2020
- Kubica joins rebranded Alfa Romeo team - 2 January, 2020
- Leclerc secures long-term Ferrari deal - 23 December, 2019
- Bottas stays on top despite collision with Grosjean - 30 November, 2019
- Bottas fastest in FP1, Vettel crashes - 29 November, 2019