Nick Heidfeld has been signed as Mercedes GP’s test and reserve driver, according to the German’s manager.
Heidfeld will be presented to the media during the team’s livery launch at Stuttgart on Monday.
"Nick will fully concentrate on supporting the team’s main drivers as the team’s test and reserve driver," Heidfeld’s manager, Andre Theuerzeit, explained. "Nick focused on a [race] seat with one of the top teams but unfortunately we were unable to sign him up."
Nonetheless, this is a useful insurance policy for the all-German team, in the event that either one of its main drivers – Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg – is unable to compete.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020