The lone red flag of the second day of testing at Valencia was caused by Robert Kubica, whose Renault ground to a halt on the pit straight with five minutes of the day’s running to go.
With no specific problems detected, it is thought that Kubica – who sported a new carbon fibre crash helmet for the day’s running – ran out of fuel. With refuelling banned for the 2010 season, was Renault trying to see how far the car would run on a tank of fuel?
Kubica improved his times from yesterday’s bottom-of-the-timesheet performance in the R30, moving to fourth-quickest at the end of the day.
His pay driver team-mate, Vitaly Petrov, will make his maiden outing on the third and final day’s running.
[Image via ITV-F1]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020