Now this is a headline I wasn’t expecting, but I’m also not surprised by!
Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has again voiced doubts over the future of some of the new teams and said he would rather see Serbian hopefuls Stefan GP on the grid this season with – wait for it! – Ralf Schumacher in the cockpit.
The younger Schumacher last hit the F1 headlines when rumours linking him to a seat with Toro Rosso started doing the rounds in late December.
The Belgrade-based outfit has set up a technical collaboration with Toyota and also plans to test at the end of February in addition to sending a container of equipment to Bahrain in the event it makes the first race.
"I do not believe in the participation of US F1 and Campos," the 79-year-old told Germany’s Bild. "Instead, I have good contacts with Stefan GP and would like to give this team a good starting point. Ralf Schumacher would be the perfect driver for them – he knows the team and is experienced."
Methinks his salary demands might be a little costly for Stefan GP! Pinch of salt, please!
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020