Well, that took a little less time than we had anticipated!
Former F1 champion Jacques Villeneuve has added to recent media speculation that is linking him to a possible drive with the emerging Stefan GP team, should its aspiration to make the F1 grid at short notice bear fruit.
Recent reports speculating that USF1 would sit out the 2009 season have done nothing but strengthen the Serbian team’s position, with the Zoran Strefanovic-owned operation having recently acquired the 2010 Toyota chassis’ in addition to sending a container of equipment to Bahrain in readiness for an eleventh hour call-up to the grid.
"If [Stefan GP] get a Formula 1 spot, it would be a great opportunity," Villeneuve admitted. "Just because the team is apparently supported by Bernie Ecclestone, one must assume that they will make it to the grid, and with the equipment from Toyota they could be the best new team. It also seems like Stefanovic is taking the project very seriously."
Given that previous reports have also tied Stefan GP to Kazuki Nakajima and Ralf Schumacher, what is not being said is whether or not Stefan GP is actually interested in Jacques!
No doubt there is more to come on this one!
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020