The South African government backed sponsorship of Formula 1 has ended, it has been announced today.
As part of its ongoing attempts to revive the South African Grand Prix, the Gauteng Motor Sport Company entered into sponsorship arrangements with the Renault and BMW Sauber teams with their “GO-GP.ORG” logos being visible.
Sponsorship of the latter team was “a long-term deal”, according to then-team boss Dr Mario Thiessen.
So was BMW’s commitment to Formula 1! And look where that went!
Both Sauber and the GMSC have confirmed the deal was terminated amicably.
Well that’s good to know! You don’t want the GMSC getting on District 9 on you if they don’t get their way!
[Image via Engineering News]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020