With the Williams team having lost its last ‘Nico’ (Rosberg) to Mercedes GP after four years’ service with the team, the team is now focused on not repeating the same mistake with its latest ‘Nico’ (Hülkenberg).
Hülkenberg also blotted his copy book with a serous tank-slapper spin in the opening laps of the race, dropping him well down the field after he pitted for fresh tyres.
In spite of his less-than-auspicious debut, the team is understandably still keen to retain its latest signing.
Speaking with Bild Autosport, team owner Sir Frank Williams said: "Nico is our big star.
"He has won every other series that he has done, and the only other driver to have done this is Lewis Hamilton. That says everything.”
Sir Frank moved quickly to dismiss recent comments by Hülkenberg’s manager, Willi Weber, who hinted that his young protégé would use his stint at Williams to position himself for a berth at Ferrari or McLaren.
"It is up to me that they don’t snatch him away," said Williams. "I found it very unprofessional that Weber is saying he (Hülkenberg) will be with Ferrari in 2013.”
“Anyway, I hope Nico is with us for a very long time,” he continued. "I have put an experienced driver – Rubens – by his side, so that he can learn as much as possible.”
[Original image via GP Update]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020