Barely a week after the F1 world witnessed the return of the Senna name to the F1 grid courtesy of his nephew Bruno, Ayrton Senna would have been celebrating his 50th birthday had his life not been cut so tragically short on that fateful day in May, 1994.
The F1 world still recalls his on-track brilliance, and also the quiet behind-the-scenes work he did to alleviate poverty in his homeland.
His nephew, Bruno, wrote on his Twitter feed: “Happy 50 years, Beca! Really wish you were still with us! Miss you! I will do my best EVER!”
I’m incredibly lucky to have a little collection of Senna memorabilia, and among my countless books I treasure several of his autographs, including one on his famed blue Nacional-sponsored hats.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020