Rosberg would go on to take the team’s first podium finish.
"I was pacing myself," Schumacher told the Sun newspaper, and when asked about his relative lack of performance he replied: "I am not a magician. I need more races."
Germany’s Bild is quoting him: "Personally, I am on schedule, but we are not where we want to be with the car. When I was World Champion, I always had the car to make me world champion.
"But we’re not so far away, as Nico has shown,” he added.
Despite the majority of the tabloid press tearing Schumacher to pieces – and they will of course adore him when he proves them wrong, being the fickle souls they are! – Lewis Hamilton has come out in defence of Michael’s form on-track so far.
"In a very short time he will be an extremely difficult opponent for all of us," Lewis said.
[Original image via GP Update]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Supercars: Series to celebrate 1000th race in Melbourne - 22 January, 2019
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Fabrizio Barbazza - 3 January, 2019
- Supercars: Holdsworth confirmed at Tickford - 21 December, 2018
- Supercars: Stanaway, Tickford split - 10 December, 2018
- ‘The Unknown Kimi Räikkönen’ - 8 December, 2018