Jacques Villeneuve will be celebrating his 39th birthday today!
Son of Gilles Villeneuve, Jacques’ (pictured with other famous Canadians carrying the Olympic flag at the 2010 Winter Games Opening Ceremony in Toronto) rise through the motorsport ranks culminated with great success in the North American scene, including CART and Indy 500 titles before he made a high-profile switch to Williams in 1996.’
Almost winning on debut, he gave team-mate Damon Hill a run for the title, but secured it the following year. The balance of his F1 career, spent with Williams (to 1998), BAR (1999-2003), Renault (2004), Sauber (2005) and BMW Sauber (2006) have rarely produced the same standard of racing form he showed in his first two seasons in F1.
The Canadian was linked with a drive with the stillborn Stefan GP outfit, whose bid to join the 2010 grid was scuppered at the eleventh hour.
[Original image via CBC]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Unstoppable Ricciardo romps to pole - 27 May, 2018
- Ricciardo tops FP3, Verstappen crashes - 26 May, 2018
- Red Bull stays on top in Monaco - 25 May, 2018
- Ricciardo leads a Red Bull 1-2 in FP1 - 24 May, 2018
- WTCR: Vernay survives jump-start investigation to win Race 3 - 22 May, 2018