Former F1 racer Christian Klien will be hopping on a plane to Shanghai this for this weekend’s fourth round of the Formula 1 World Championship, furthering rumours that he is set to join Hispania Racing as the team’s Friday test driver.
Rumours have linked Klien and Ferrari test driver Giancarlo Fisichella to the role with the Spanish team.
Klien has not participated in a Grand Prix weekend since his final outing for Red Bull at the 2006 Italian Grand Prix. Since leaving the team, he has been a test driver with both the Honda and BMW Sauber outfits, and made his intentions to return to an F1 cockpit pretty clear.
The young Austrian is also currently acting as the reserve driver for Peugeot’s Le Mans team, and he will be taking part in a test session with the team in France this week.
With Alexander Wurz also relinquishing his commentary role with Austrian broadcaster ORF while he fulfils the role as the fourth race steward this weekend, it is expected that Christian will temporarily fill his commentary role.
But is he also fishing around for a role with one of the F1 teams?
"Right after the [Peugeot] test, I fly to Shanghai to keep in touch with the teams," Klien said on his official website.
"Sometimes it can turn around pretty quickly as we have seen. And being at the race means taking a shortcut, which makes things easier sometimes," he added.
That’s not exactly a denial!
[Original image via Salzburg 24]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020