Despite an early collision with Sergio Hernández, Norbert Michelisz has headed the free test session at the Marrakech street circuit, as the long-awaited second round of the World Touring Car Championship season got underway in earnest.
Michelisz and Hernández came together at Turn 15, although both drivers seemed able to rejoin without damage.
Coronel looked set to head the timesheets, and indeed was quickest for much of the 30-minute session, which was interrupted by a red flag when local driver Ismail Sbaï’s Chevrolet Lacetti slapped the wall at Turn 8. Indeed, it was a difficult maiden outing for the local Moroccan team, with Youssaf El Marnissi also stopping on-track and Larbi Tadlaoui failing to participate in the session at all.
Another driver to come to grief was Alain Menu (pictured right), who damaged the right-rear corner of his Chevrolet Cruze after crashing at the second chicane.
Several drivers were cautioned by the stewards for excessive cutting of the chicanes as they tried to explore the limits of their cars in the oppressive North African heat.
2010 WTCC Round 2 Marrakech Test Session Times:
[Images via the FIA WTCC official website]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Supercars: Game over for Garry Rogers Motorsport - 18 October, 2019
- Supercars: McLaughlin and Prémat triumph on The Mountain - 13 October, 2019
- FIA ratifies record 22-race F1 2020 calendar - 5 October, 2019
- Formula E: De Silvestro joins Porsche - 30 September, 2019
- Hamilton wins in Russia amid Ferrari team orders dispute - 29 September, 2019