Some three years following the ‘Spygate’ scandal of 2007, a case alleging sabotage by one of the espionage co-conspirators Nigel Stepney got underway in Italy overnight.
It is believed that Stepney’s alleged sabotage attempt, and subsequent dossier leaking of Ferrari design information to sacked McLaren chief designer Mike Coughlan, all stemmed from him failing to receive a promotion within the team which he felt was his due.
The opening day of the trial, which is being held in the Emilia Romagna town of Sassuolo, was not attended by Stepney, according to the German SID news agency.
[Original image via Speedheads]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020