Some three years following the ‘Spygate’ scandal of 2007, a case alleging sabotage by one of the espionage co-conspirators Nigel Stepney got underway in Italy overnight.
It is believed that Stepney’s alleged sabotage attempt, and subsequent dossier leaking of Ferrari design information to sacked McLaren chief designer Mike Coughlan, all stemmed from him failing to receive a promotion within the team which he felt was his due.
The opening day of the trial, which is being held in the Emilia Romagna town of Sassuolo, was not attended by Stepney, according to the German SID news agency.
[Original image via Speedheads]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Supercars: Game over for Garry Rogers Motorsport - 18 October, 2019
- A new name for Scuderia Toro Rosso - 17 October, 2019
- Bottas victorious, Mercedes wins sixth title - 14 October, 2019
- Supercars: McLaughlin and Prémat triumph on The Mountain - 13 October, 2019
- FIA ratifies record 22-race F1 2020 calendar - 5 October, 2019