A week after the disgraced former Renault boss was seen as a guest of F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone at the Monaco Grand Prix, Flavio Briatore’s yacht Force Blue has been boarded and seized by the Italian police.
Briatore’s 60-metre float had been pursued by high-speed boats to the Italian port of La Spezia, near Genoa, in Italy’s north.
Local prosecutor Walter Cotugno ordered that the boat – which had Flavio, his wife Elisabetta and their new-born son Falco on board – be impounded on the suspicion that its registration as a charter boat is misleading.
The long arm of the law suspects that Briatore has registered the boat in the Cayman Islands, with an outrageous hire price of €275,000 a week, in order to obtain a tax break and to dodge sales tax when berthed in European harbours.
The investigators suspect that the boat is not in fact chartered at all, and is for the exclusive use of the Briatore family.
There’s a lesson here: pay your taxes!!!
[Original image via Sutton Images]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Supercars: Game over for Garry Rogers Motorsport - 18 October, 2019
- Supercars: McLaughlin and Prémat triumph on The Mountain - 13 October, 2019
- FIA ratifies record 22-race F1 2020 calendar - 5 October, 2019
- Formula E: De Silvestro joins Porsche - 30 September, 2019
- Hamilton wins in Russia amid Ferrari team orders dispute - 29 September, 2019