A loss of second gear caused the early-race retirement of Bruno Senna, the Hispania Racing Team has confirmed. However, the Murcia-based squad could take plenty of positives away from what had been a challenging race weekend, as Karun Chandhok managed to out-race both Virgin Racing cars and collect another race finish.
"We had a gearbox failure apparently," said Senna. "The second gear was lost and there was no way to finish the race without it on this track.
"So we decided to retire, which is really disappointing as it could have been a good race for us. Now we have to make the best of this weekend and focus on the next race in Valencia."
"We were racing both Virgins and I was eight seconds ahead of Timo Glock even before he stopped at the end,” he said after the race. "The team did a great job today and the guys did good pit-stops under pressure. The car was reliable, which is what we were struggling with this weekend."
[Original image via AUTOSPORT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020