The 44-year-old Finnish driver – who drove for the likes of Onyx, Dallara, Sauber and Benetton between 1989-94 – is reported to have been thrown from the small boat he was travelling in when it struck a bridge support.
It is believed that, despite suffering head injuries and broken ribs, he was able to swim safely to shore. However, it is also believed that a companion who was travelling with him was killed in the accident.
Our deepest condolences to JJ, and our best wishes for a speedy recovery!
[Original image via AUTOSPORT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WEC alters 2019-20 calendar to avoid F1 clash - 22 September, 2018
- WTCR: Ma Qing Hua to race on home soil - 18 September, 2018
- Hamilton inches to the 2018 title with victory - 17 September, 2018
- Hamilton stuns with another pole position - 16 September, 2018
- Ferrari dominates in final practice - 15 September, 2018