The 44-year-old Finnish driver – who drove for the likes of Onyx, Dallara, Sauber and Benetton between 1989-94 – is reported to have been thrown from the small boat he was travelling in when it struck a bridge support.
It is believed that, despite suffering head injuries and broken ribs, he was able to swim safely to shore. However, it is also believed that a companion who was travelling with him was killed in the accident.
Our deepest condolences to JJ, and our best wishes for a speedy recovery!
[Original image via AUTOSPORT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020