It was all smiles on Lucas di Grassi’s side of the Virgin garage, with the young Brazilian managing to out-qualify his considerably more experienced team-mate Timo Gock for the first time this season.
This will come as a big boost in confidence for the former GP2 driver – who was, incidentally, Timo’s team-mate in the category – who has largely failed to impress in his rookie F1 season.
“I’m slowly getting up to the pace, especially in qualifying when we’re using two types of tyres,” he said to the BBC. “I’m very pleased with my lap, it’s the first time I’ve out-qualified my team-mate and hopefully it’s the first of many!
“I’ve been running on Timo’s pace a lot, especially in races, but our main gap as a team is still to be the best of the new teams and beat Lotus.”
Judging by the 1.3 second gap to the Lotus pairing of Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen, you have some way to go still!
[Original image via AUTOSPORT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020