No doubt looking for redemption after a point-less weekend at Zolder – where he was disqualified from victory in the opening race – Jordi Gené headed the timesheets in the opening practice session, which was dominated by the SEAT squad.
August Farfus restored BMW pride by heading the timesheets in the second free practice session.
But the closeness at the top of the order between SEAT, BMW and Chevrolet gives indication that this will be another closely fought weekend between the three marques.
Gené’s opening session best of 1:56.232 provied to be half a second faster than Farfus’ fastest time in the later session – the Brazilian’s pace across the two sessions was particularly consistent, and enough to see what would have been a tenth-placed session 1 time being quick enough for a first place in the second session.
Of interest was that neither Gené nor Fredy Barth, who headed the opening session, were able to crack into the top-ten in the afternoon’s running.
Qualifying is scheduled for later today, and a full report will follow…
2010 WTCC Round 5 Portimao 1st Practice Session Times:
2010 WTCC Round 5 Portimao 2nd Practice Session Times:
[Original images via FIA WTCC official website]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020