Rather embarrassingly for the championship leaders, McLaren has removed its iteration of the ‘blown diffuser’ – the lowered exhaust configuration used by Red Bull to great effect this season – from its MP4-25 cars, seemingly unhappy with the results it has offered to Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton.
Button, who was timed a lacklustre 13th-quickest in Friday’s second practice session, admitted: “It hasn’t been perfect, that’s the truth.”
Hamilton – half a second quicker than his team-mate, and eighth-quickest in FP2 – added: “The feeling was positive first thing but the changes we made didn’t make it better and that happens sometimes.
“It’s not something you can just bolt on,” he added.
What effect will this have for McLaren for the rest of the weekend?
[Original image via Sutton Images]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020