While previously unaware of new rumours linking Heikki Kovalainen to his former employer (from 2007), Renault, for 2011, Lotus technical boss Mike Gascoyne admits that he’s hardly surprised that rival teams are showing an interest in the Finn.
“That’s the first time I’ve heard that,” he told Finland’s Turun Sanomat. “Heikki has done a good job so it’s no wonder someone else could be interested in him.”
It is believed, however, that both Kovalainen and team-mate Jarno Trulli have signed long-term deals with the team.
“It is three years, but with mutual options for each year,” Gascoyne clarified.
Kovalainen himself is certainly flattered by the latest driver merry-go-round rumours.
“Rumours are always nice,” he said, “but I’m concentrating on now, driving with Lotus, and this weekend.”
[Original image via The Cahier Archive]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020