While Rubens Barrichello might never be in a position to take a race win with Williams this season, there is certainly one particular triumph he has been very keen to trumpet.
Following the British Grand Prix, those who weren’t glued to the World Cup Final broadcast on TV would have discovered that Rubens became quite the cult hero when he set the fastest ever time on the Top Gear show’s ‘F1 Star in a Reasonably Priced Car’, hauling the ageing Suzuki Liana around the track in a record time of 1:44.3 – the fastest time set by any celebrity in any car during the show’s history, and even quicker than that of The Stig.
The Brazilian had been gagged about his appearance on the show during the British Grand Prix weekend, and this meant that Germany presented him with the first opportunity to
hit Sir Frank Williams up for a pay rise gloat about his achievement.
Never one to miss a good bit of publicity, Rubens rocked up to the paddock wearing an ‘I beat the Stig’ T-shirt. What made it even better was the gift range he brought along for some of his F1 friends!
He duly presented Mark Webber, Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton – three of the current grid members to have contested a time on Top Gear and whose times he had eclipsed – and gave them each a little bearing, bearing a special T-shirt adorned with the phrase ‘I didn’t beat the Stig’.
[Original image via AUTOSPORT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020