Lucas di Grassi has survived an awkward gaffe within the Virgin Racing team, in which a prank played by the young Brazilian backfired.
Following the Hockenheim race – in which di Grassi retired after clobbering a kerb and team-mate Timo Glock finished in 18th place – the team’s press officer, Tracy Novak, reportedly presented each driver with proposed official quotes for the regular press release from the team.
The usual practice is that the drivers propose any changes and sign off on the release before its issued to the media.
Motorsport-total.com has reported that – while probably meant as no more than a prank – it is believed that di Grassi edited his team-mate’s official comment!
The quote received and published worldwide by the media read: “It was a difficult start to the race as Lucas overtook me in a brilliant move.”
Glock was certainly not amused when he read the published statement later on.
“When I read it I was very surprised — I can guarantee I didn’t say it,” he said.
The website also reports that the team didn’t see the funny side either, and di Grassi was suitably told off for his actions.
[Original image via AUTOSPORT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020