Finland’s Turun Sanomat newspaper has reported that the team has no immediate plans to replace the veteran of 167 Grands Prix.
The appointment of a reserve driver is not mandated in the regulations, and it is therefore believed that the team will nominate a reserve driver on a race-by-race basis.
Perhaps one such candidate could be Formula 2 champion Andy Soucek, who recently left his reserve driver role with the Virgin Racing Team.
As for Heidfeld, he kicked off his maiden outing as Pirelli’s main man overnight, with the opening day’s testing at the Mugello circuit. The dark-helmeted Heidfeld drove a white Toyota TF109 with minimal Pirelli signage and unbranded tyres.
Details and images from the event are yet to be made available.
[Original image via Auto Week]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020