Mercedes competition boss Norbert Haug has confirmed that the Mercedes GP team will not replace the departed Nick Heidfeld (pictured with Haug) as its test and reserve driver for the rest of this season.
With Heidfeld having been released by the team to become Pirelli’s official tyre tester for the rest of the year, Haug – who was himself the subject of unsubstantiated rumours that his future with the organisation was in doubt – has high hopes that his compatriot will be able to use the Pirelli role as a springboard back onto the F1 grid in 2011.
“Absoultely [he will be in high demand from other teams],” Haug told the SID news agency. “Don’t forget that Nick has already beaten the current championship leader Mark Webber as a teammate [at Williams in 2005].”
[Original image via YallaF1]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020