Rumours are indicating that Karun Chandhok will remain on the HRT sidelines until at least the end of October, meaning he may next race at the penultimate round in Brazil.
Missing his third consecutive race while HRT favours the allegedly greater sponsorship dollars wielded by the team’s reserve driver, Sakon Yamamoto, the latest rumours are pointing to the Chennai-born driver being out of action for the upcoming rounds at Italy, Singapore, Japan and Korea.
He will, however, take part in a Formula 1 demonstration for Red Bull at Korea’s new Grand Prix circuit next Saturday.
“It was a while since I drove an F1 car so I decided, ‘Why not?’,” Chandhok said.
HRT is refusing to disclose any information about its intentions for the Indian driver, but Chandhok remains optimistic that he will be called upon to drive before the end of the season.
“The reasons [I am out of the cockpit] seem fairly obvious but at the end of the day, the team has its reasons, financial or circumstantial,” he added. “I think I will do two or three races before the end of the year but honestly, our focus has now shifted to 2011.
“Over the summer break, we spent time discussing future options and I’m quite optimistic. We’re looking in good shape for 2011,” he revealed, but ruled out a switch to Force India for 2011.
“I’m not a part of their future plans and a racing seat is not available there anyway.”
[Original image via AUTOSPORT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020