… An Australian Grand Prix at Calder Park Raceway!
A major redevelopment of Calder Park Raceway – a Melbourne venue that played host to non-championship F1 races in the early 1980s (pictured) – has sparked rumours that it could be considered as an alternative host venue for the Formula 1 World Championship.
No so, says circuit owner and former touring car great Bob Jane.
“As far as I am concerned, Albert Park is the best venue for the grand prix and I have no plans to have formula one racing out here,” he told the Brimbank Leader.
Jane was one of the principal figures in organising the non-championships races, held between 1980 and 1984, before the circus officially came to Adelaide from 1985.
[Original image via Flickr]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Supercars: Series to celebrate 1000th race in Melbourne - 22 January, 2019
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Fabrizio Barbazza - 3 January, 2019
- Supercars: Holdsworth confirmed at Tickford - 21 December, 2018
- Supercars: Stanaway, Tickford split - 10 December, 2018
- ‘The Unknown Kimi Räikkönen’ - 8 December, 2018