The Finn is almost certain to remain with Lotus next year, but his name has been on of several speculated as a potential candidate to join Robert Kubica at Renault – with whom he raced in his debut F1 season in 2008 – next year.
“I know what team I will be with next season, but you’ll have to wait a few days before I can say,” the former racewinner with McLaren told Finland’s Turun Sanomat.
The newspaper reports that Kovalainen is “fully committed” to Lotus on a long-term deal, and has apparently been a key figure in the recruitment of additional staff to the Malaysian-owned outfit.
Another rumour surrounding Lotus is the speculated switch to Renault power for 2011, but this would only seem possible if it can negotiate a release from its three-year deal with Cosworth.
[Original image via Sutton Images]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020