The Renault driver blocked the Virgin racer as he joined the circuit from the pits, just as Glock was steaming down into Turn 1. Glock was forced to slow down, and furiously gesticulated to the Russian driver to use his mirrors in future.
The stewards duly ruled that the Russian – who originally qualified 15th – had impeded Glock and docked him five places, although Petrov dismissed full responsibility for the incident.
“I can only apologise to him if I held him up,” Petrov said after the announcement of the penalty. “I didn’t see him coming up behind me and didn’t see any blue flags as I came out of the pits.”
[Original image via GP Update]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020