The Sauber team has signed Mexican teen sensation Esteban Gutierrez as its test and reserve driver for the 2011 season.
The newly-crowned GP3 champion was signed to the team on a long-term development role in the wake of his test outings with the team in the 2009-10 off-season, and has attended several races this season in an observational role.
He will also test the C29 car at the season-ending young driver test at Abu Dhabi.
Confirming the announcement, Peter Sauber said: “We are confident he will continue to develop strongly.”
Rumours have recently done the rounds that Gutierrez comes armed with significant backing from his homeland, most notable being the TELMEX telecom group owned by multi-billionaire Carlo Slim.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Hamilton completes practice rout - 4 July, 2020
- Mercedes close out Friday practice on top - 4 July, 2020
- Hamilton leads Mercedes 1-2 as F1 2020 finally gets underway - 3 July, 2020
- Stirling Moss (1929 – 2020) - 12 April, 2020
- F1 to delay 2021 technical regulations - 20 March, 2020