The Sauber team has signed Mexican teen sensation Esteban Gutierrez as its test and reserve driver for the 2011 season.
The newly-crowned GP3 champion was signed to the team on a long-term development role in the wake of his test outings with the team in the 2009-10 off-season, and has attended several races this season in an observational role.
He will also test the C29 car at the season-ending young driver test at Abu Dhabi.
Confirming the announcement, Peter Sauber said: “We are confident he will continue to develop strongly.”
Rumours have recently done the rounds that Gutierrez comes armed with significant backing from his homeland, most notable being the TELMEX telecom group owned by multi-billionaire Carlo Slim.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Formula E: Evans romps to pole in Santiago - 19 January, 2020
- Kubica joins rebranded Alfa Romeo team - 2 January, 2020
- Leclerc secures long-term Ferrari deal - 23 December, 2019
- Bottas stays on top despite collision with Grosjean - 30 November, 2019
- Bottas fastest in FP1, Vettel crashes - 29 November, 2019