Michael Schumacher has yet again been forced to dismiss speculation that he will Michael Schumacherabandon his F1 comeback after a single season and head back into retirement.

On the back of what many have been quick to describe as a disastrous return to the sport for the 41-year-old, the latest wave of speculation was started by Schumacher’s first F1 boss, Eddie Jordan, who claimed he sensed frantic activity in the Monza paddock that suggested a Mercedes GP seat could possibly open up in 2011.

This in turn led to the suggestions being reopened that Force India’s Adrian Sutil could join the squad next season, continuing the all-German driver line-up in the Silver Arrows.

But Schumacher’s assistance Sabine Kehm has again rejected these rumours, and Schumacher himself laughed them off in the Singapore Grand Prix paddock on Thursday.

SID news agency reports that Schumacher replied, “You won’t get rid of me that easily!” when an Asian journalist asked him about the latest round of rumours.

Instead, he added, the team has switched his focus onto designing its 2011 challenger, and told reporters that he had been heavily involved in “every detail” of the new car’s design.

“There will be no more development steps with the 2010 car, even if I think some good results are possible,” he said. “Our goal is the world championship – and the sooner the better.

“We have already started our process, while the teams fighting for the [2010] World Championship are somewhat further behind. We are hoping for a small head start for 2011.”

[Original image via LAT]

The following two tabs change content below.

Richard Bailey

Founder & Chief Editor at MotorsportM8
Hasn't missed a Grand Prix since 1989. Has a soft spot for Minardi. Tattooed with 35+ Grand Prix circuits.

Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)

Share