Grosjean’s dominance of the series was particularly impressive. He joined the series with the DAMS squad after four races had already been completed, and then proceeded to win four of the remaining eight races in the season, and never finished off the podium.
The series is the reborn version of the European Formula 3000 championship, and uses modified versions of the first-generation A1GP Lola chassis. The championship has been previously won by the likes of Felipe Massa (2001), World Touring Car Championship driver Augusto Farfus (2003), former Renault test driver Luca Filippi (2005) and Alain Prost’s son, Nicolas (2008).
This year’s championship has several former F1 connections, with other competitors including the likes of Filippi also competing against former Jordan driver Giorgio Pantano. Cousin of Sébastien Buemi, Natacha Ganchang, also competes, as does Adrien Tambay, who is the son of former F1 driver Patrick.
[Original image via the Automobilsport]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020