The 2009 British touring Car Champion will drive a WSR-run BMW 320si with Aviva Cofco backing in deference to the outfit’s newly-secured sponsor.
Turkington achieved an incredible three podium finishes in six races during the WTCC mid-season in an eBay-backed BMW in the Independents Trophy championship. He still lies eleventh in the overall championship classification.
The team’s principal, Dick Bennetts, said that the deal was a massive relief for the team.
“We thought after the way we went at the Algarve, Brands Hatch and Brno that finding backing for the Asian races would be relatively straightforward,” he said. “It’s not been the case though and we’ve had to work bloody hard to get the deal done and are very happy about it.”
As yet, the squad has not made the decision to run the 2007 model in current- or ‘old’-spec configurations, having done the latter next season. The ballast regulations for the sport dictate that the newer-spec configuration carries a 60kg weight penalty over the older-spec machines.
[Original image via AUTOSPORT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Unstoppable Ricciardo romps to pole - 27 May, 2018
- Ricciardo tops FP3, Verstappen crashes - 26 May, 2018
- Red Bull stays on top in Monaco - 25 May, 2018
- Ricciardo leads a Red Bull 1-2 in FP1 - 24 May, 2018
- WTCR: Vernay survives jump-start investigation to win Race 3 - 22 May, 2018