His appearance Stateside has again set off rumours that the Italian is contemplating a switch to NASCAR, on the back of his test for the Michael Waltrip outfit during the 2009-10 off-season when Toyota’s F1 future was up in the air.
His pace at the time had been described as “very strong” and “on the pace of the best [drivers]” back then, and that the Pescara-born driver was also spied dining with former F1 driver and now-NASCAR regular Juan Pablo Montoya could have tongues wagging.
And as for staying on at Lotus next season, it is rumoured that both Trulli and his team-mate Heikki Kovalainen have signed contracts to remain at the Hingham squad next season, but the rumours have tended to refer more favourably to Kovalainen’s prospects than Trulli’s.
[Original image via LAT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020