Hispania Racing has refused to enter into a war of words with Bernie Ecclestone, in the wake of the F1 supremo’s comments that the three new teams – Lotus, Virgin and HRT – are “cripples” whose performance has been “an embarrassment” to the sport.
When asked to respond to Mr Ecclestone’s poorly-worded attack, HRT’s communications boss Alba Saiz refused to be drawn and told Spain’s EFE news agency that the team would prefer “to work, not respond to everyone who talks”.
He added: “We have nothing more to say.”
While Ecclestone had suggested that the sport would be better off without the newcomers based on their current form, the HRT official was upbeat about the team’s future.
“We are working and already thinking about next year, and in that way we have just announced a partnership with Williams for two years,” he added.
“In a couple of weeks we will make a further announcement,” Saiz said, perhaps referring to the team’s rumoured tie-up with Toyota’s defunct F1 team.
[Original image via Sutton Images]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020